Here are a few packing tips to help you with when it comes packing your carbon bike safely for courier delivery:
- Always use a dropout protector if you take the rear wheel off. It is a little plastic ‘stick’ that slots into the dropouts to stop the rear stays from being crushed in transit. Same with your forks. If you can’t get hold of one, roll up some cardboard into a tube and tape it in-between the rear dropouts. You’ll sleep better trust me!
- Never lean any components against a carbon surface. Wrap the frame in plastic packaging. The rubbing will damage the surface with very little effort. Carbon does not like abrasion. Secure everything in the box!
- Take your pedals and skewers off. Tape some cardboard over the hub ends to avoid them piercing the box.
- Run your chain over the big ring, adjust the rear mech in as far as it will go and lay some extra cardboard to the bottom of the box.
- Before you close the box fill the rest of the space with ‘filler’ Newspapers, old packing or anything that will stop the components from rattling around inside the box.
- No need to wrap the packaged components with loads of tape. It just makes it harder to cut away without damaging the frame…