This one baffled me. I don’t usually repair forks but I looked as if it was a manufacturing problem/ Monday bike. The client was heading to the Alps and wanted a solution as Trek do not sell front forks apparently? He was stuck as he bought the bike on Ebay. He left it against a wall outside and came back to find these cracks had appeared…

After I cleared away the cracked paint I noted the aluminum dropouts butted up against carbon. Obviously there is an overlap but when metal expands and contracts against carbon you get movement. Strange design in my opinion. We decided the best solution was to secure the join and brace the area with a carbon collar to ensure the area was structurally locked. He was concerned about the logos but with careful work I managed to carbon the area and keep it tidy too.


A side impact on the dropout and damaged seat stay. The dropout was pretty distorted but I managed to re-align for the hanger. Luckily. If that was cracked then it was a new frame.
Seat stay had damage from the chain on impact so a profiled layup secured that issue. I managed to save the logo too! Customer is chuffed he doesn’t have to spend £1300
Thanks to Dorking’s Head-for-the-hills for recommending me!

Customer email:
Just a note to say thanks for the work that you did recently, great recommendation from Dan.
Rode out last weekend and it was as if nothing had happened
Best wishes


Another seat project at snails pace due to other commitments. Design based on SMP carbon seat by Sella. I have added more curve for the pelvic area on the mold plug. Will only know when I ride on it for a few hours. This way I can always add more material to reduce the curve but the dimensions are similar. Watch this space


My brother in law is in need of a new seat for a big ride we are doing in Africa in May. I wanted to build him a carbon seat so I designed a prototype that I have not seen on the market yet. Not only is it light but its super flexible for carbon. I have introduced a ‘suspension’ tongue to control movement. This design enables me to modify the flex after it is built for the rider.


Another victim to remind us that car doors opening into the road can be a real hazard to any cyclist. This 2012 Wilier XP suffered a frame fracture and shifter damage. A fairly simple repair in 4 x 300 Uni layup. Nice and thin but strong. You can see the tape covering the decal to ensure no accidents happen. I safely got away with it this time. I varnished and did not cover the repair as the rest of the frame is clear coat + Carbon repairs are cool!


A common problem with carbon is over-tightening. Here I am rebuilding a deep crack. Its important to ensure all layers are exposed to build a strong repair.

This Fi’z’ik seat got the MTB treatment and cracked in 3 stress areas. Again you can see how brutal I get in clearing damaged areas for structural repairs that could cause direct injury. I don’t always take these on for legal reasons.

They are now successfully back in the field were they belong and so far no returns!


Scott Genius MC20 Carbon frame with alloy rear stay mounting: Broken rear stay mount. Normally this is a throw away frame because the cracked alloy part is too close to the carbon frame. Epoxy and heat don’t mix. I welded the alloy mount at the same time protecting the carbon frame. In fact I increased the area of support as this is a known problem on this model.


Got this Cube Litening that had a side impact. The seat stay was broken off at the top and bottom of the chain stay. The seat stay piece was also snapped into two pieces. The first job was to align the broken parts together with a strong epoxy on the frame itself. Once cured in perfect alignment the repair could begin. Each break was rebuilt with 5 layups of different CF weave to ensure stiffness. In this case I resprayed the repair.


Another sad but all too typical worn brake tracks on perfectly good wheels. It’s a time consuming job to ensure the re-build is flush, level and can withstand high heat and abrasion. Don’t ask what I use…it’s not off-the-shelf epoxy.


I was sent a set of Bontrager 700’s that had melted down an Alpine run. The rear wheel profile was deformed from the incorrect pads and brake surface was de-laminated. Luckily the wheel was still true so I took on the project.

Firstly the profile had to be reset by creating a mold of the correct profile. After cutting away the damaged area I rebuilt the wheel and brake surface. It is important to get the weight the same so there is no bias to a heaver side. The wheels are as good as new.